On Tuesday 21 April, 933 new cases were reported. 408 patients live in Flanders, 446 in Wallonia and 60 in Brussels. We have no information as to where the other 19 cases live. This brings the total number of confirmed infected people to 41 889.
Furthermore, the situation is as follows:
- A total of 4 765 patients have been admitted to hospital. In the last 24 hours, there were 263 new admissions.
- A total of 1 020 patients have been admitted to intensive care units, a decrease of 59 patients in the last 24 hours.
- Since 15 March, 9 433 patients have recovered and have been discharged from hospital, an increase of 432 in the last 24 hours.
- A total of 6 262 people have died, an increase of 266 in the last 24 hours. With regard to these 266 deaths, 87 have occured in hospital and 178 in a rest and care home. In the latter group, 13% are confirmed Covid-19 cases.
- Of the 6 262 people who died, 46% died in hospital, 52% in a rest and care home, 0.4% at home and 0.4% elsewhere. The hospital deaths are all confirmed cases. The deaths in rest homes are both confirmed (4.5%) and suspected (96%) cases.
The number of people confirmed infected in Belgium is still increasing. The number of new hospital admissions is continuing to stabilise and the peak in the number of deaths seems to be behind us. So persevere and follow the general measures, take good care of yourself and of others.
Are you sick? (fever, coughing, respiratory problems, etc.) Then follow the advice of the FPS Public Health and:
- stay at home
- contact your doctor directly by telephone
- follow the recommendations on the website https://www.info-coronavirus.be/en/. That way, everyone will help to slow the progress of the pandemic and protect the most vulnerable among us.