The development of the epidemic is monitored by using a 7-day average and in comparison to the infection events of the previous week. This method enables us to clearly show the respective trends, regardless of the fluctuations in the daily figures..
Mouth covers do not protect against COVID-19. They are used as an alternative to a mouth mask in many areas, but the mouth and nose are barely covered and therefore not protected. The protection of the wearer as well as the environment is therefore insufficient. More information in the FPS Economy news.
The number of new infections in the period from 14 to 20 July increased by 89% compared to the previous week (07/07 to 13/07). The increase is observed in all provinces, with the exception of Walloon Brabant.
Although the increase affects all age groups, it is more pronounced in the labour force (under 60 years of age). They account for 85% of all cases diagnosed in the last week. We also deplore the death of a 3-year-old girl. She was confirmed at COVID-19 by laboratory test and had severe comorbidities.
On average, nationally, 220.6 new cases were diagnosed per day in the last week.
Figures are constantly being updated. Figures for the same period, from different editions of the daily report, may therefore differ slightly.
CURRENT LOCAL INFECTION SITUATION
To track the infection at a local level, visit our website, which shows the situation in each municipality. It contains data on the incidence of the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 per municipality based on 3 indicators:
- 7-day cumulative incidence (number of new infections in the last 7 days divided by the population of the specific municipality, multiplied by 100,000);
- Number of consecutive days on which at least one new infection was reported;
- Number of days on which there is an increase in new infections compared to the previous day, over a period of 7 days.
2. Daily figures
The daily figures are available online via the Sciensano COVID-19 dashboard.
- New infections (according to diagnosis date and no longer according to the date of notification to Sciensano as before);
- Hospital admissions and discharges from hospital;
- Deaths (by date of death and no longer by date reported to Sciensano).
The corresponding Open Data records can be downloaded from our website.
Dashboard and datasets are updated daily at 09.00 am.
The number of new infections is also updated at the weekend. The two longer-term indicators, hospital admissions and deaths, are only updated during the week.
The virus has not disappeared from Belgian territory. Keep on following the tips to protect yourself and your family.
If you are ill (fever, coughing, respiratory problems, etc.), then please follow the advice of the FPS Public Health and:
- stay at home
- contact your doctor directly by telephone
- follow the recommendations on the website https://www.info-coronavirus.be/en/.