The virus make no difference between people's origin, age or religion
The development of the epidemic is monitored by using a 7-day average and in comparison to the infection events of the previous week. This method enables us to clearly show the respective trends, regardless of the fluctuations in the daily figures..
The number of new infections during the period 23-29 July increased by 78% compared to the previous week (16/07 to 22/07). An average of 465.4 people per day tested positive for COVID-19.
This increase can be seen in almost all provinces, in particular the province of Antwerp.
New cases are emerging in all age groups, but most infections occur in the 20-59 age group.
As far as hospitals are concerned, last week’s average is 22.7 hospitalizations per day. This represents an increase of 27%.
Last week, the number of deaths with COVID-19 averaged 3 per day.
The current situation is worrisome, but we can still reverse the trend! For this reason, we ask you not to look for loopholes and to follow the measures put in place.
It will take several weeks before the effect of the new measures on the number of new infections is visible. In the meantime, the number of cases will continue to increase.
See the complete daily report of the epidemiological situation of COVID-19.
Figures are constantly being updated. Figures for the same period, from different editions of the daily report, may therefore differ slightly.
CURRENT LOCAL INFECTION SITUATION
To track the infection at a local level, visit our website, which shows the situation in each municipality. It contains data on the incidence of the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 per municipality based on 3 indicators:
- 7-day cumulative incidence (number of new infections in the last 7 days divided by the population of the specific municipality, multiplied by 100,000);
- Number of consecutive days on which at least one new infection was reported;
- Number of days on which there is an increase in new infections compared to the previous day, over a period of 7 days.
2. Daily figures
The daily figures are available online via the Sciensano COVID-19 dashboard.
- New infections (according to diagnosis date and no longer according to the date of notification to Sciensano as before);
- Hospital admissions and discharges from hospital;
- Deaths (by date of death and no longer by date reported to Sciensano).
The corresponding Open Data records can be downloaded from our website.
Dashboard and datasets are updated daily at 09.00 am.
The number of new infections is also updated at the weekend. The two longer-term indicators, hospital admissions and deaths, are only updated during the week.
The virus has not disappeared from Belgian territory. Keep on following the tips to protect yourself and your family.
If you are ill (fever, coughing, respiratory problems, etc.), then please follow the advice of the FPS Public Health and:
- stay at home
- contact your doctor directly by telephone
- follow the recommendations on the website https://www.info-coronavirus.be/en/.