The number of patients in intensive care remains below 1 000
On Thursday 23 April, 1 496 new cases were reported. 602 patients live in Flanders, 646 in Wallonia and 106 in Brussels. We have no information as to where the other 142 cases live. This brings the total number of confirmed infected people to 44 293.
Furthermore, the situation is as follows:
- A total of 4 355 patients have been admitted to hospital. In the last 24 hours, there were 210 new admissions.
- A total of 970 patients have been admitted to intensive care units, a decrease of 23 patients in the last 24 hours.
- Since 15 March, 10 122 patients have recovered and have been discharged from hospital, an increase of 322 in the last 24 hours.
- A total of 6 679 people have died, an increase of 190 in the last 24 hours. With regard to these 190 deaths, 91 have occured in hospital and 97 in a rest and care home. In the latter group, 36% are confirmed Covid-19 cases.
- Of the 6 679 people who died, 46% died in hospital, 53% in a rest and care home, 0% at home and 0% elsewhere. The hospital deaths are all confirmed cases. The deaths in rest homes are both confirmed (6%) and suspected (94%) cases.
Presentation of the figures (press conference) picture_as_pdf
The number of people confirmed infected in Belgium is still increasing. The number of new hospitalizations is stabilizing, but remains fairly high. So persevere and follow the general measures, take good care of yourself and of others.
Are you sick? (fever, coughing, respiratory problems, etc.) Then follow the advice of the FPS Public Health and:
- stay at home
- contact your doctor directly by telephone
- follow the recommendations on the website https://www.info-coronavirus.be/en/. That way, everyone will help to slow the progress of the pandemic and protect the most vulnerable among us.
View the full daily report on the (inter)national epidemiological situation of the coronavirus.