Number of new infections has increased by 58%
The development of the epidemic is monitored by using a 7-day average and in comparison to the infection events of the previous week. This method enables us to clearly show the respective trends, regardless of the fluctuations in the daily figures.
The number of new infections in the period from 26 July to 1 August has increased by 58% compared to the previous week (19 July to 25 July). On average, 535.4 persons per day tested positive for COVID-19 during this period.
This increase can be observed in all provinces and affects people aged 20 to 60 years and over 80 years.
Last week, an average of 22.1 new COVID patients per day were admitted to hospitals. This is a slight decrease of 4%.
Last week, an average of 2.4 people per day also died with COVID-19.
We do not know yet how long and how intense this wave will be, but we are confident that with our joint efforts we will be able to control this wave. The basic rules work, and we must apply them consistently. Limit your close contacts to a maximum of five people. Always keep your distance from others. If you are infected or have been in close contact with an infected person, isolate yourself immediately and do not spread the virus further.
See the complete daily report of the epidemiological situation of COVID-19.
Figures are constantly being updated. Figures for the same period, from different editions of the daily report, may therefore differ slightly.
CURRENT LOCAL INFECTION SITUATION
To track the infection at a local level, visit our website, which shows the situation in each municipality. It contains data on the incidence of the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 per municipality based on 3 indicators:
- 7-day cumulative incidence (number of new infections in the last 7 days divided by the population of the specific municipality, multiplied by 100,000);
- Number of consecutive days on which at least one new infection was reported;
- Number of days on which there is an increase in new infections compared to the previous day, over a period of 7 days.
2. Daily figures
The daily figures are available online via the Sciensano COVID-19 dashboard.
- New infections (according to diagnosis date and no longer according to the date of notification to Sciensano as before);
- Hospital admissions and discharges from hospital;
- Deaths (by date of death and no longer by date reported to Sciensano).
The corresponding Open Data records can be downloaded from our website.
Dashboard and datasets are updated daily at 09.00 am.
The number of new infections is also updated at the weekend. The two longer-term indicators, hospital admissions and deaths, are only updated during the week.
The virus has not disappeared from Belgian territory. Keep on following the tips to protect yourself and your family.
If you are ill (fever, coughing, respiratory problems, etc.), then please follow the advice of the FPS Public Health and:
- stay at home
- contact your doctor directly by telephone
- follow the recommendations on the website https://www.info-coronavirus.be/en/.