Number of new hospital admissions falls
On Saturday 18 April, 1,313 new cases were reported. Of these, 693 live in Flanders, 473 in Wallonia and 132 in Brussels. We have no information as to where the other 15 cases live. This brings the total number of confirmed infected people to 38,496.
For the rest, the situation is as follows:
- A total of 4,871 patients have been admitted to hospital. Over the past 24 hours, there have been 265 new admissions.
- There are a total of 1,081 patients in intensive care, which is a further decrease of 38 patients in the past 24 hours.
- 8,757 patients have been discharged from hospital and declared recovered since 15 March, which is an increase of 409 in the past 24 hours.
- A total of 5,683 deaths have been reported, which is an increase of 230 in the past 24 hours. Of these 230 people, 76 died in hospital and 154 in a residential care centre. In the latter group, 3.9% were confirmed by a COVID test.
- Of the total of 5,683 people, 47% died in hospital, 51% in a residential care centre, 0.4% at home and 0.4% elsewhere. The hospital deaths are all confirmed cases. The deaths in residential care centres were both confirmed (4.1%) and suspected (96%) cases.
The number of people confirmed infected in Belgium is still increasing. The number of new hospital admissions is continuing to stabilise, but remains fairly high. So please persevere and follow the general measures, take good care of yourself and of others.
Are you sick? (fever, coughing, respiratory problems, etc.) Then follow the advice of the FPS Public Health and:
- stay at home
- contact your doctor directly by telephone
- follow the recommendations on the website https://www.info-coronavirus.be/en/. That way, everyone will help to slow the progress of the pandemic and protect the most vulnerable among us.
View the full daily report on the (inter)national epidemiological situation of the coronavirus.