Number of new hospital admissions continues to go down
On Sunday 19 April, 1 487 new cases were reported. 550 patients live in Flanders, 693 in Wallonia and 238 in Brussels. We have no information as to where the other 6 cases live. This brings the total number of confirmed infected people to 39 983.
Furthermore, the situation is as follows:
- A total of 4 920 patients have been admitted to hospital. In the last 24 hours, there were 232 new admissions.
- A total of 1 071 patients have been admitted to intensive care units, a decrease of 10 patients in the last 24 hours.
- Since 15 March, 8 895 patients have recovered and have been discharged from hospital, an increase of 138 in the last 24 hours.
- A total of 5 828 people have died, an increase of 168 in the last 24 hours. With regard to these 168 deaths, 62 have occured in hospital and 103 in a rest and care home. In the latter group, 2.9% are confirmed Covid-19 cases.
- Of the 5 828 people who died, 47% died in hospital, 52% in a rest and care home, 0.4% at home and 0.4% elsewhere. The hospital deaths are all confirmed cases. The deaths in rest homes are both confirmed (4.0%) and suspected (96%) cases.
Presentation of the figures (press conference) picture_as_pdf
The number of people confirmed infected in Belgium is still increasing. The number of new hospital admissions is continuing to stabilise, but remains fairly high. So please persevere and follow the general measures, take good care of yourself and of others.
Are you sick? (fever, coughing, respiratory problems, etc.) Then follow the advice of the FPS Public Health and:
- stay at home
- contact your doctor directly by telephone
- follow the recommendations on the website https://www.info-coronavirus.be/en/. That way, everyone will help to slow the progress of the pandemic and protect the most vulnerable among us.
View the full daily report on the (inter)national epidemiological situation of the coronavirus.