On Tuesday 19 May, 192 new cases were reported. Of these, 117 live in Flanders, 57 in Wallonia and 18 in Brussels. This brings the total number of confirmed infected people to 55 983.
The rest of the situation is as follows:
- A total of 1 527 patients have been admitted to hospital. Over the past 24 hours, there have been 58 new admissions.
- There are a total of 313 patients in intensive care, which is a decrease of 32 patients in the past 24 hours.
- 14 847 patients have been discharged from hospital and declared cured since 15 March, which is an increase of 160 in the past 24 hours.
- A total of 9 150 deaths have been reported, which is an increase of 42 in the past 24 hours. Of those 42 people, 20 died in hospital and 20 in a residential care centre. In the latter group, 85% were confirmed by a COVID test.
- Of the total of 9 150 people, 48% died in hospital, 51% in a residential care centre, 0.2% at home and 0.4% elsewhere. The hospital deaths are all confirmed cases. The deaths in residential care centres were both confirmed (24%) and suspected (76%) cases.
New infections continue to be diagnosed in our territory, but the trends are going downwards. So please persevere and follow the general measures, take good care of yourself and of others.
If you are ill (fever, coughing, respiratory problems, etc.), then please follow the advice of the FPS Public Health and:
- stay at home
- contact your doctor directly by telephone
- follow the recommendations on the website https://www.info-coronavirus.be/en/.
This way, everyone will help to slow the progress of the pandemic and protect the most vulnerable among us.