399 patients discharged from hospital
On Thursday 16 April, 1 329 new cases were reported. 585 patients reside in Flanders, 581 in Wallonia and 143 in Brussels. We have no information about the place of residence of the other 20 cases. The total number of confirmed cases is 36 138.
Furthermore, the situation is as follows:
- A total of 5 161 patients have been admitted to hospital. In the last 24 hours, there were 320 new admissions.
- A total of 1 140 patients have been admitted to intensive care units, a decrease of 42 patients in the last 24 hours.
- Since March 15, 7 961 patients have recovered and have been discharged from hospital, an increase of 399 in the last 24 hours.
- A total of 5 163 people have died, an increase of 313 in the last 24 hours. With regard to the deaths during the last 24 hours, 114 have occurred in hospital, 199 in a rest and care home. In the latter group, 24% are confirmed Covid-19 cases.
- Of the 5 163 people who died, 44% died in hospital, 54% in a rest and care home, 0.6% at home and 0.2% in another location. The deaths in hospital are all confirmed cases. Deaths in rest homes are either confirmed cases (7.8%) or suspected cases (92%).
Presentation of the figures (press conference)
The number of cases in our country is increasing. The number of new hospitalizations is stabilizing, but remains fairly high. So, stand fast and apply the general measures, take care of yourself and of the others.
Are you sick (fever, cough, breathing problems, …)?
- Stay home.
- Contact immediately your treating doctor.
- Follow the recommendations on this website: https://www.info-coronavirus.be. By doing so, everyone can help slow down the spread of the epidemic and protect the most vulnerable people.
Click here for a daily updated report on the (inter)national epidemiological situation of the coronavirus published by Sciensano (available in French and Dutch only).