34 people to hospital daily
The development of the epidemic is monitored by using a 7-day average and in comparison to the infection events of the previous week. This method enables us to clearly show the respective trends, regardless of the fluctuations in the daily figures.
The number of new infections in the period from 6 to 12 August has increased by 1% compared to the previous week (30/07 to 05/08.). On average, 588.3 persons per day tested positive for COVID-19 during this period. In the week before, this was 583.9.
However, for a few days now, we have been seeing that this increase is levelling off and that the exponential growth seems to have been broken. Below this average, however, there are significant regional differences. In the provinces of Antwerp, Limburg, Flemish Brabant, Hainaut and Liège we see that the curves are decreasing.
The largest increases are observed in the Brussels-Capital Region (+44%), in the province of Namur (+37%) and in Luxembourg (+34%). In West Flanders, the increase in the number of cases observed last week was interrupted.
Hospitals admitted an average of 33.6 new COVID patients per day last week and an average of 7.3 persons died with COVID-19 last week. These two indicators have increased compared to the previous week.
See the complete daily report of the epidemiological situation of COVID-19.
Figures are constantly being updated. Figures for the same period, from different editions of the daily report, may therefore differ slightly.
CURRENT LOCAL INFECTION SITUATION
To track the infection at a local level, visit our website, which shows the situation in each municipality. It contains data on the incidence of the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 per municipality based on 3 indicators:
- 7-day cumulative incidence (number of new infections in the last 7 days divided by the population of the specific municipality, multiplied by 100,000);
- Number of consecutive days on which at least one new infection was reported;
- Number of days on which there is an increase in new infections compared to the previous day, over a period of 7 days.
2. Daily figures
The daily figures are available online via the Sciensano COVID-19 dashboard.
- New infections (according to diagnosis date and no longer according to the date of notification to Sciensano as before);
- Hospital admissions and discharges from hospital;
- Deaths (by date of death and no longer by date reported to Sciensano).
The corresponding Open Data records can be downloaded from our website.
Dashboard and datasets are updated daily at 09.00 am.
The number of new infections is also updated at the weekend. The two longer-term indicators, hospital admissions and deaths, are only updated during the week.
The virus has not disappeared from Belgian territory. Keep on following the tips to protect yourself and your family.
If you are ill (fever, coughing, respiratory problems, etc.), then please follow the advice of the FPS Public Health and:
- stay at home
- contact your doctor directly by telephone
- follow the recommendations on the website https://www.info-coronavirus.be/en/.