On Wednesday 20 May, 252 new cases were reported. Of these, 175 live in Flanders, 56 in Wallonia and 21 in Brussels. This brings the total number of confirmed infected people to 56 235.
The rest of the situation is as follows:
- A total of 1 448 patients have been admitted to hospital. Over the past 24 hours, there have been 71 new admissions.
- There are a total of 277 patients in intensive care, which is a decrease of 36 patients in the past 24 hours.
- 14 988 patients have been discharged from hospital and declared cured since 15 March, which is an increase of 141 in the past 24 hours.
- A total of 9 186 deaths have been reported, which is an increase of 37 in the past 24 hours. Of those 37 people, 21 died in hospital and 16 in a residential care centre. In the latter group, 94% were confirmed by a COVID test.
- Of the total of 9 186 people, 48% died in hospital, 51% in a residential care centre, 0.2% at home and 0.5% elsewhere. The hospital deaths are all confirmed cases. The deaths in residential care centres were both confirmed (24%) and suspected (76%) cases.
New infections continue to be diagnosed in our territory, but the trends are going downwards. So please persevere and follow the general measures, take good care of yourself and of others.
If you are ill (fever, coughing, respiratory problems, etc.), then please follow the advice of the FPS Public Health and:
- stay at home
- contact your doctor directly by telephone
- follow the recommendations on the website https://www.info-coronavirus.be/en/.
This way, everyone will help to slow the progress of the pandemic and protect the most vulnerable among us.