On Saturday 23 May, 282 new cases were reported. Of these, 193 live in Flanders, 65 in Wallonia and 24 in Brussels. This brings the total number of confirmed infected people to 57 092.
The rest of the situation is as follows:
- A total of 1 324 patients have been admitted to hospital. Over the past 24 hours, there have been 48 new admissions.
- There are a total of 256 patients in intensive care, which is a decrease of 3 patients in the past 24 hours.
- 15 272 patients have been discharged from hospital and declared cured since 15 March, which is an increase of 117 in the past 24 hours.
- A total of 9 280 deaths have been reported, which is an increase of 43 in the past 24 hours. Of those 43 people, 22 died in hospital and 18 in a residential care centre. In the latter group, 83% were confirmed by a COVID test.
- Of the total of 9 280 people, 48% died in hospital, 51% in a residential care centre, 0.3% at home and 0.5% elsewhere. The hospital deaths are all confirmed cases. The deaths in residential care centres were both confirmed (25%) and suspected (75%) cases.
New infections continue to be diagnosed in our territory, but the trends are going downwards. So please persevere and follow the general measures, take good care of yourself and of others.
If you are ill (fever, coughing, respiratory problems, etc.), then please follow the advice of the FPS Public Health and:
- stay at home
- contact your doctor directly by telephone
- follow the recommendations on the website https://www.info-coronavirus.be/en/.
This way, everyone will help to slow the progress of the pandemic and protect the most vulnerable among us.