Coronavirus has a significant impact not only on our health but also on other aspects of our lives. Are you looking for support? Here is a list of organisations you can contact.
I’m looking for financial support
Are you having trouble paying your bills? Are you self-employed and in need of support? There are several initiatives you can benefit from.
I have lost my job and no longer have enough income to make essential purchases. Where can I go?
- You can receive unemployment benefit. You can find more information from the Hulpkas voor Werkloosheidsuitkering | Caisse auxiliaire de Paiement des Allocations de Chômage or from your trade union. More information if you live in Wallonia: http://luttepauvrete.wallonie.be/
- Register with the Public Centre for Social Welfare (PCSW) in your municipality. The PCSW has a budget allocated to it by the authorities to help you pay your bills if your income has dropped. This support is not solely limited to minimum wage recipients but is intended for all those who, after an individual review, are confirmed by the PCSW as needing support. You can find its address here:
These support measures also apply to students, recent graduates and the self-employed who find themselves without income.
If you are unemployed, register as a job seeker as soon as possible with the following organisation:
- in Flanders: VDAB
- in Brussels: Actiris
- in Wallonia: FOREM
I am self-employed and have had difficulties, where can I go?
Get in touch with:
- the National Institute for the Social Security of the Self-employed (NISSE) via www.nisse.be/en or via 0800/12.018
- the social security fund with which you are affiliated.
You can find more information in the ‘Guide for the self-employed’ brochure by the FPS Social Integration.
The Flemish Government also provides support measures for the self-employed and entrepreneurs who are suffering damage as a result of the corona crisis. Read all the information here.
I need legal help for problems I have experienced during the crisis but I can't afford to pay, who do I contact?
I've been having trouble paying or receiving a food allowance since the COVID-19 crisis. Who can I contact?
I'm having trouble paying the rent on my house. Who can I contact?
- Contact the PCSW in your municipality. The social workers are here to help you. The PCSW has a budget allocated to it by the authorities to help you with regard to housing. This aid includes all possible costs, with the exception of the rental guarantee.
- In Wallonia: Tenants who can demonstrate, with financial proof, a loss of income related to the COVID-19 measures can request flexible payment plans, as well as a rent review based on their specific situation. Affected tenants can contact the social services of the regional office of the Fund to which they belong. If no agreement is possible, the tenant in difficulty can apply to the Walloon Social Credit Corporation (SWCS) which can, under certain conditions, grant them an interest-free loan for the payment of their rent (including for a student lease).
- In the Brussels-Capital Region: On this website you will find all the housing-related measures taken by the Brussels-Capital Region, whether relating to support for rent payments or evictions.
- In Flanders: Persons who are temporarily unemployed can receive an allowance from the Flemish authorities to pay their water and energy bills. There are also many other support measures for individuals. You will find more information on this page. From 1 May to 1 October 2020, you can also, as landlord or tenant, contact the Flemish Ombudsman to solve problems related to the COVID-19 crisis. More information on this page.
The COVID-19 situation has left me unable to pay my utility bills. Can anyone help me?
I am no longer able to pay for my medication and hospital or doctor's bills. What should I do?
I am registered with the PCSW and I'm worried about the processing of my file at this time.
Many care service providers have switched over to online forms, but I have problems using them. Where can I find help?
I don't use the Internet and the digital applications. Can someone help me?
The COVID-19 situation has left me so short of cash that I can't afford to buy clothes anymore. Can anyone help me?
My income has been reduced as a result of the COVID-19 situation and I have no money left to buy glasses (or contact lenses). Can anyone help me?
I’m a minor and I’m looking for support
If you are under 18 and need help, please contact one of these organisations:
- the PCSW in your municipality
- your school’s PMS centre
Don’t hesitate to take action if you know or are a child victim of physical or psychological abuse:
- in Wallonia & Brussels: by calling the SOS-Enfants team in your region: www.one.be
- in Flanders: by contacting the JAC - Jongeren AdviesCentrum
- by calling 103 or going to www.103ecoute.be The number 103, accessible free of charge from 10 am to midnight.(French speaking)
- by calling 102 or going to awel.be. (Dutch speaking)
I'm young and I don't live at home anymore. Where can I go now that meeting venues and organisations are limited or closed?
- If you go to school, you can contact the PMS centre at your school.
- You can contact the PCSW in your municipality.
I’m a parent and I’m looking for support
Are you a single parent with (young) children and in need of support or alternative childcare? There are various possibilities for support. You can call SOS PARENTS on 0471/414.333, 7 days a week, from 8am to 8pm.
I work but I have to take care of my children. Can I take leave?
You can contact: For information on Corona parental leave, you can contact the ONEM at www.onem.be or on 02/515.44.44.
I'm a (single) parent of young children and I am looking for alternative childcare.
I'm looking for housekeeping support.
My income has been reduced as a result of COVID-19 and I am struggling to provide for my children. Can anyone help me?
You can contact:
For information on Corona parental leave, you can contact the ONEM at www.onem.be or on 02/515.44.44.
I’m homeless and I’m looking for support
For more information:
- in Brussels: https://survivinginbrussels.be/app/fr/
- in Flanders: https://www.caw.be/hoe-wij-helpen/opvang/
- in Wallonia: https://www.ama.be/lama/
I’m looking for psychological help
Do you feel anxious, stressed, isolated? It’s only natural. Don’t suppress your emotions. Several organisations, initiatives and health professionals are at your disposal. You will find an overview here.