Please note: all tests are slightly different. Always check the instructions of your test for the correct steps.
What to do before the self-test?
- Never store the self-test in the fridge or freezer. Store the test in a dark place at room temperature.
- Watch the instruction video: www.info-coronavirus.be/zelftest
- Blow your nose to clear it.
- Wash or sanitise your hands.
What to do during the self-test?
Take the test strip out of the packaging. Place it onto a clean surface. Please note that, once opened, you have 30 minutes to do the test.
Prepare the extraction tube with the liquid.
Please read the instructions of your test for this (and look at figure 4 in the instruction guide).
Carefully open the swab packaging.
Put the soft fabric tip of the swab 2 to 4 cm into your nose. This might feel uncomfortable.
Do this in both nostrils.
Place the soft tip of the swab in the liquid of the extraction tube. Rotate the swab in the liquid for 15 seconds.
Leave the swab in the liquid for 1 to 2 minutes. Pinch the bottom of the extraction tube against the swab.
Take the swab out of the extraction tube and throw the swab in the bin.
Press the cap tightly onto the extraction tube.
Turn the extraction tube over and squeeze drops of the liquid onto the test strip. Read the instructions of your test to find out how many drops.
Wait 15 to 30 minutes to read your result. Read the instructions of your test to find out the exact waiting time.
When not to use the COVID-19 self-test?
- You have coronavirus symptoms. Always contact your family doctor.
- You had coronavirus less than three months ago according to a PCR COVID-19 test
How to read your results?
You probably have coronavirus (positive result) You will see a line next to the letter ‘C’ and a line next to the letter ‘T’.
You probably do not have coronavirus (negative result) You will only see a line next to the letter ‘C’ and nothing next to the letter ‘T’.
In all other cases, your test did not run correctly and is void. If there are no lines or only a line next to ‘T’, your test did not run correctly and is void. Buy a new self-test and do a second test.
Is your test result positive?
You probably have coronavirus.
- Immediately contact your family doctor for a PCR COVID-19 test.
- Or ask for an activation code for a PCR test via the contact centre on 02 214 19 19.
- You must immediately self-isolate.
- If the PCR COVID-19 test is positive, you must self-isolate for a minimum of 10 day.
- Contact tracing will be initiated.
Is your test result negative?
You probably do not have coronavirus. You do not need to self-isolate.
Please note that a self-test is not 100% reliable. If you develop symptoms, always contact your doctor.
- Always strictly follow the coronavirus rules.
- Keep a minimum distance of 1.5 metres
- Wash your hands with soap frequently
- Respect the number of cuddle contacts
- Wear a face mask if the distance of 1.5 metres cannot be respected
- As far as possible, meet up outside
What is self-isolation?
- You must self-isolate for 10 days. Start counting from the day of the self-test.
- You are not allowed any contact with people in your home.
- Do not share rooms with other people (bathroom, toilet, …). If this is not possible, disinfect the room thoroughly every time.
- After a period of 10 days, you can stop self-isolating.
- If, during the self-isolation period, you develop symptoms (such as a fever, shortness of breath, loss of smell and taste), contact your family doctor.
- If you are still displaying symptoms after 10 days, contact your family doctor again.